A rarely used but very useful option in grep

I usually do a lot of log analysis. I search for patterns in multiple files in multiple hosts. Then I collate the result and do processing on the result lines. A sample output looks like:
/tmp/input1.txt: line containing pattern
/tmp/input2.txt: another line containing pattern
 As it turns out, I don't need the file names in the grep result. I always used to remove the file name prefixes using a Perl one-liner. Silly me!

I was pretty sure that this was a common problem and it must have been solved already. When I referred to the man page of grep, I came across this gem: -h. If you specify this option, grep will not prefix each line with a the file name.

There is also -H option which will prefix each line with a filename even if you are searching in only one file.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gotchas with DBCP

A note on Java's Calendar set() method

The mysterious ORA-03111 error